Chicken Flatbread Pizza with Apple Caramelized Onion Spread is an easy recipe to server your party guests, even if your guests are the sofa and TV. You can make this pizza in less than 5 minutes and all the ingredients you buy pre-made. This Chicken Flatbread Pizza is crunchy, meaty, cheesy and has a hint of sweetness from the Apple Caramelized Onion Spread.
Flatbread Pizza variations: You can keep the base of the flatbread crust and the topping of the Apple Caramelized Onion Spread, and play around with these other options:
- Walnut & shredded aged cheddar cheese
- shredded Fontina cheese, baked sweet potato mashed, sage & kale.
- Prosciutto, Dubliner cheese & fresh thyme.
- Brie, and fresh basil as a garnish.
- Bacon, grated sharp cheddar cheese & grated Havarti cheese.
- Other ingredient suggestions are herbed goat cheese, dried thyme leaves, cubed cooked chicken breast, cooked real bacon bits, green onions, shredded pepper Jack cheese & shredded Cheddar cheese.
Beer: Bock German Style beer pairs well with the chicken & Gruyere Cheese. Porter is another dark style of beer developed in London from well-hopped beers made from brown malt which pairs well with Gruyere cheese.
Wine: Beaujolais, Chardonnay, Chianti, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Riesling, Syrah/Shiraz, dry red Lambrusco or a Bonarda frizzante.
Author: Carlos Leo
Recipe type: Appetizer
1 prepared thin pizza crust or flatbread (approximately 10 oz.)
½ cup Apple Caramelized Onion Spread
1 cup grated gruyere cheese
diced or shredded pieces of grilled chicken, or duck
½ TableSpoon of extra virgin olive oil
Spread Apple Caramelized Onion Spread on the pizza crust or flatbread, leaving the edges open as a crust. Brush the edges with olive oil (optional).
Top with shredded or grilled chicken (or duck) and Gruyere cheese.
Bake at 400F degrees for 13-15 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned.
Makes 4 appetizer servings.